If you want to have a unique-looking skateboard, you would need to learn how to paint your skateboard in order to give it a design of your own. The following are steps which would help you achieve this:
1. Make sure you do not mind ruining the clothes which you are wearing. Also, place a drop cloth or tarp on any surface which you want to protect. This should be your work area. The area should be well ventilated to avoid a spray paint’s fumes building up to become toxic.
2. Remove and place both trucks of a board at a safe place.
3. Place your board which is now truckless upside down at your workplace. Use an electric sander and a 40-grit sandpaper to remove the original design which is on the board. After it is cleared, use a 150-grit sandpaper to smoothen it. The process of smoothing should not take more than 5 minutes. Make sure that you wear a protective gear to protect your eyes, lungs, and throat.
4. Use a stiff bristle brush to clear any sawdust remaining which may cause an irregularity in your painting. Do not use any brush which may damage the board’s.
5. If there are cracks, or any other visible damage found on your board, repair it.
6. If the repaired area requires some drying, allow it to dry before using a 150-grit sandpaper to sand the repaired area of your board. This should not take up to 5 minutes.
7. Tape the top side screw holes and sides of your deck to prevent paint from dripping along the grip and sides of the board.
8. Follow the directions of your primer as you apply it to the deck. Keep a reasonable distance from the board as you apply the primer. An aerosol primer may be the best option. Wait for the first layer to dry befor applying it a second time in order to get a better surface. Remember to wear a dust mask and a protective eye-wear as you spray the paint.
9. After the second layer of primer cost dries, use your 150-grit sandpaper to re-sand the deck as a way of smoothening the primer coat. Rub gently to remove any irregularities. To be doubly sure, use a dampened lint to do a final pass across your board and allow it to dry.
10. To prevent defects in your paint use a tack coat to wipe on your primer. Use the one that matches the kind of spray paint which you want to use.
11. What you would use to apply the layers of paint are a series of stencils.
12.The unpainted areas would form the design of your board.
13. Have a blueprint of the job which you want to paint beforehand to avoid making a mistake when you begin painting.
14. Be sure to label the colors of what you design on the blueprint.
15. If applicable, create your stencils. This would not be necessary if you use a tape to create your designs on a board.
16. Spray your base color on the board. It would form the background layer for your tensiled designs. Follow the instructions provided on your aerosol paint a you completely cover the sanded bottom of the board with an even layer of paints. Allow the first layer of paint to dry before applying the next one.
17. After attaching your stencil or tape design on the board, spray the second layer of paint. Make sure that you spray the entire bottom in order to get an even application. Let the paint dry after applying it.
18. Carefully remove your stencils or tape after it dries.
19. low a minimum of 24 hours for the paint to dry and set before smoothing the finished design with a 220-grit sandpaper. Wipe the sawdust with a damp cloth. Give it a further 15 minutes before the tape on the sides.
20. Reattach your trucks and you a unique skateboard to ride.